KARACHI: Life returned to normality in most parts of the city on Thursday after two days of violence in which some 40 people were killed and more than a dozen others wounded though the strife-hit Malir area remained tense with sporadic rattle of gunfire that kept businesses shut and transport off the roads for a fifth consecutive day.
Public transport returned to the major roads of the city. It had started disappearing on Tuesday evening after the deadly shooting in the Shershaah scrap market that killed 12 people and remained completely off the roads on Wednesday, the day of mourning called by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement.
Similarly, business and commercial centres also opened after a day’s break. Business leaders and representatives of transporters sounded convinced that the city situation had improved and there was no reason to keep the businesses closed.
“We had nothing to do with any mourning, but it was actually the security situation that kept the shopkeepers away from work,” said Siddique Memon, chairman the Karachi Traders Action Committee.
The situation in Malir, however, remained tense as residents stayed indoors for the fifth consecutive day with no regular business taking place in the locality.
The intense firing that restarted after a brief break in the early hours of Thursday continued throughout the day. The police said they had picked up more than a dozen persons suspected to be involved in disturbing law and order but admitted that none of them had been charged under the defined laws.
“We have also identified a few suspects for the recent situation and every effort is being made for their arrest,” said SP Tanvir Alam Odho of Bin Qasim Town. “Two youngsters died on Wednesday. They were residents of the same area and today’s bad situation was the result of those killings. But there has been no serious activity that could disturb the security situation.”