Peshawar, Pakistan reopen the border crossing of Torkham key supply convoys of NATO to Afghanistan on Sunday, ending a siege of 11 days after a U.S. helicopter strike killed at least two Pakistani fuels soldiers.
The closure of the crossing Torkham NATO vehicles stranded many trucks in parking lots and roads, where they were vulnerable to attacks by militants. Over 150 trucks were destroyed and motorists and police officers were wounded in attacks almost daily.
The reopening of the crossing came four days after the U.S. apologized for the Sept.30 attack helicopter, said the pilot took the soldiers pursued the insurgents across the border with Afghanistan.
”I am very happy that our difficult days have finally ended and we are through now,” driver Khan Rehman told The Associated Press minutes before he drove the first truck into Afghanistan just after noon.
”I am thankful to the government of Pakistan for ending our hardship.”
By early afternoon, around 10 vehicles had crossed into Afghanistan through Torkham and authorities were working to clear hundreds that had been stranded for days, said customs official Attaur Rehman.
”We have cleared a bunch of oil tankers and containers after customs formalities, and the first few vehicles have already crossed the border,” said Rehman