The actor, who, with their counterparts Aamir Khan and Shahrukh Khan is one of the players in the India film industry Muslim leader also questioned claims that the Indian state of Pakistan helped plan the atrocities.
In a taped interview three weeks ago with a Pakistani television channel, widely reported in Indian media on Monday, said everybody knows that the Pakistani government was not behind the attacks.
Too much hype is created around 11.26 (November 26) attacks because the chosen men were targeted. The attacks occurred on trains and small towns, but nobody was talking much, he said. Instead, he blamed the failure of agencies of India own safety. After requests from the right wing Hindu nationalist political groups for a public retraction, and critics in newspapers, including one called The Clueless Khan, apologized the 44-year-old to his fans. I think I messed up, sorry guys,he wrote on the site of micro-blogging service Twitter Monday.
Khan’s tweeted apology came after he posted a statement on the video-sharing site YouTube claiming his comments had been “twisted around”.
“I saw it myself, the way it is coming across on the TV. It’s sounding insensitive,” he said.
“I was just saying that life is equal… it is the same. Some attacks had more media coverage than the others. Why is that? I think every human life is as important,” he added.
“I didn’t mean to hurt anybody’s sentiments and if I have hurt anybody’s sentiments, I am really, really sorry.”
A total of 166 people died and more than 300 others were wounded in the Mumbai attacks when 10 Islamist gunmen lay siege to three luxury hotels, a popular tourist restaurant, Jewish centre and the city’s main railway station.
India accuses banned militant group in Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba funding, training and equipping of armed men with the help of elements of the Pakistani army. Khan launched new movie, Dabangg was (Fearless), critical acclaim and success at the box office.