ISLAMABAD: The payment of Rs20,000 in preliminary grant to every flood-affected family decided by the Council of Common Interests (CCI) early this week has partially started, but in two provinces only.
National Disaster Management Authority Chairman Lt-Gen Nadeem Ahmad told Dawn on Friday that the process had started in Mianwali (Punjab) and Thattha (Sindh) on Thursday and 400 affected families had been given compensation amounts. “The process will be extended to Badin and Karachi on Saturday,” he added.
Lt-Gen Nadeem said that amounts were being distributed strictly on production of ‘Watan cards’ issued by Nadra and the money could be drawn from banks. The process, however, could not take off in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan.
A meeting of the CCI, presided over by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Monday, had decided that the federal and provincial governments would share the preliminary amount of Rs40 billion for compensation.
Lt-Gen Nadeem said the federal government had released the first instalment of its share — Rs5 billion. Punjab has given Rs2 billion and the three other provinces Rs1 billion each.
Mr Gilani also told reporters on Thursday that the federal government had deposited Rs5 billion in United Bank to pay out the first instalment. Asked about reasons for the delay in payment of compensation amount in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, a spokesman for Chief Minister Amir Haider Khan Hoti said the CM was busy in distributing compensation cheques to the heirs of those killed in Peshawar, Nowshera and Charsadda blasts.