Home » Blog » NASA to find how Red Planet’s atmosphere become thin

NASA to find how Red Planet’s atmosphere become thin

Water on Mars : What happened to the water on Mars and how did the Red Planet’s atmosphere become so thin over time?

NASA’s MAVEN probe is scheduled to launch on Tuesday (AEDT) on a mission to find out.

The unmanned spacecraft aims to orbit Mars from a high altitude, studying its atmosphere for clues on how the sun may have influenced gas to escape from the possibly life-bearing planet billions of years ago.

The probe is different from past NASA missions because it focuses not on the dry surface but on the mysteries of the never before studied upper atmosphere.

“There’s a puzzle piece, I’ll say, that’s been missing with what’s happening in that upper atmosphere,” said David Mitchell, project manager of the Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN (MAVEN) mission.

“That is really what we are going after.”

NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland posted on its website an artist’s video rendition of what Mars might have looked like in a long-gone era when its atmosphere was thick enough to support surface water.

The green lakes and white clouds it depicts offer a stark contrast to the barren desert planet of today, coated in reddish-pink grit and dry except for traces of briny subsurface streams.

Jim Green, director of the planetary science division at NASA headquarters said MAVEN, which cost $US671 million ($A721.54 million), will reveal clues about what happened to make Mars’ atmosphere too cold and thin to support water.

The planet that neighbours earth “underwent a major climate change in its past,” said Green.

“MAVEN will tell us why Mars went through such dramatic atmospheric changes over the years.”

Much of its year-long mission will be spent circling the planet at a distance of 6000 kilometres above the surface, but it will execute five deep dips to a height of just 125km.

The square spacecraft weighs 2453 kilograms and will launch aboard an Atlas V 401 rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

The launch could happen as early as 1.28pm on Monday (0528 AEDT on Tuesday).

The launch window stays open for two hours.

Rainy weather has a 40 per cent chance of delaying the launch on Monday, and conditions deteriorate over the next two days, to 60 per cent chance of delay on Tuesday and 70 per cent on Wednesday, NASA weather officials said.

If launch goes ahead as planned on Monday local time, the 2.5-metre cube with wing-like solar panels will arrive in Martian orbit on September 22, 2014 after a journey of 10 months.

That would be an arrival two days earlier than India’s Mars probe, launched on November 5.

MAVEN’s science mission would begin in November 2014. The science goals of the two do not overlap much, Mitchell said.

The Indian probe will be searching for methane which could prove the existence of some ancient life form, while the US probe seeks answers about the planet’s climate change.

“It is kind of a neat race and we wish them all the best,” Mitchell told reporters.

“Down the road, the scientists will be collaborating on what they find there.”

MAVEN is part of a series of rovers and probes that aim to return key data about Mars before a planned mission to send humans there as early as the 2030s, NASA has said. (AFP)

Like this story?




More News on EPakistanNews.com

Pakistan News update 24 hours, latest breaking news updates in Pakistan, Pak news, Pakistan Urdu columns, latest news pakistan, political news updates, E Pakistan Newspaper, Karachi News, Karachi Updates, Lahore news, Islamabad news, Multan news and more breaking news, E Pakistan News brings Latest Pakistan News, headline news, pk politics, News online, sports, politics news from Pakistan.


Home - Disclaimer - Follow us on Twitter - Like us on Facebook

Copyright © 2010-2015, E Pakistan News, All rights are reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission are strongly prohibited.
if you need any further assistance please contact us via email epn@epakistannews.com