Home » Breaking News, World News » Afghan civilian death toll in airstrikes down

Afghan civilian death toll in airstrikes down

World News – The number of Afghan civilians killed in US and Nato air strikes dropped by nearly half last year to 126, the United Nations said on Tuesday. The report came a day after President Hamid Karzai banned government forces from requesting foreign air support during operations in residential areas.       

The overall civilian death toll in 2012 also declined some 12 per cent to 2,754, compared with 3,131 the previous year, according to an annual report by the UN Mission to Afghanistan that tracks statistics in the 11-year-old war.

But while it was the first reduction in casualties in six years, the UN expressed concern about a spike in targeted killings and human rights abuses by armed groups, a worrisome trend as US and other foreign troops prepare to withdraw combat troops by the end of 2014.

It also said the number of Afghan women and girls killed and injured in the conflict increased by 20 per cent in 2012.

The report was released as anger is high over an air strike last week in northeastern Kunar province that killed five children, four women and one man along with four insurgents. Angry that the strike was requested by his national intelligence service, Karzai on Monday ordered government troops to stop asking for foreign air support in residential areas.

The Taliban and other insurgents increasingly targeted civilians throughout the country and were responsible for 81 per cent of the civilian casualties last year, the UN said. The report said that so-called anti-government elements killed 2,179 civilians and wounded 3,952, a 9 per cent increase in casualties from 2011.

By contrast, the number blamed on US and allied forces decreased by 46 percent, with 316 killed and 271 wounded in 2012.

The top UN envoy in Afghanistan, Jan Kubis, welcomed the decline in casualties but said ”the human cost of the conflict remains unacceptable.” The Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman also said the decrease was a positive sign and pledged to do everything possible to stop the insurgents from attacking civilians. ”They’re still using suicide bombers, they still use IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) in very populated areas and they still use civilians as a shield in the villages,” Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqi said. ”The important thing is that civilian (casualties) should be decreased to zero.”

The UNAMA report attributed the overall drop in civilian casualties to a decline in suicide attacks, reduced numbers of air strikes and other measures taken by the US-led coalition and the Afghan government.

It also cited ”an unseasonably harsh winter which impeded insurgent movements and effects of earlier military operations against anti-government elements” and said the number of civilian casualties actually rose in the last half of the year.

Despite the decline, air strikes remained the cause of most civilian deaths and injuries by the international military forces and 51 of those killed were children, the report said.

The death of civilians during military operations, particularly in air strikes, has been among a major source of acrimony between Karzai’s government and foreign forces.

The US-led military coalition said last June that it would only use air strikes as a self-defense weapon of last resort for troops and would avoid hitting structures that could house civilians. That announcement followed a bombardment that killed 18 civilians celebrating a wedding in eastern Logar province, which drew an apology from the American commander.

Afghans currently lead the majority of military operations nationwide and will fully take charge in the spring, a key step in the plan to withdraw US and other foreign combat forces by the end of 2014. However, they remain heavily dependent on the coalition for air support and medical evacuations in areas where the Taliban and other militants live among the population and often enjoy local support.

The top US commander in Afghanistan, Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, said he believes the American-led Nato coalition can operate effectively despite the ban.

Like this story?

More News on EPakistanNews.com

Pakistan News update 24 hours, latest breaking news updates in Pakistan, Pak news, Pakistan Urdu columns, latest news pakistan, political news updates, E Pakistan Newspaper, Karachi News, Karachi Updates, Lahore news, Islamabad news, Multan news and more breaking news, E Pakistan News brings Latest Pakistan News, headline news, pk politics, News online, sports, politics news from Pakistan.

Home - Disclaimer - Follow us on Twitter - Like us on Facebook

Copyright © 2010-2015, E Pakistan News, All rights are reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission are strongly prohibited.
if you need any further assistance please contact us via email epn@epakistannews.com