Home » Breaking News, World News » US Embassies Attacked in Yemen, Egypt

US Embassies Attacked in Yemen, Egypt

World News – Demonstrators attacked the U.S. embassies in Yemen and Egypt on Thursday in protest at a blasphemous film, and American warships headed to Libya after the U.S. ambassador there died in related violence earlier this week.

US Embassies Attacked in Yemen, Egypt

Hundreds of Yemenis broke through the main gate of the heavily fortified compound in the capital Sanaa, shouting “We sacrifice ourselves for you, Messenger of God”. They smashed windows of security offices outside the embassy and burned cars.

“We can see a fire inside the compound and security forces are firing in the air. The demonstrators are fleeing and then charging back,” one witness told Reuters.

A security source said at least 15 people were wounded, some by gunfire, before the Yemeni government ringed the area with troops. An embassy spokesman said its personnel were safe.

In Egypt, protesters hurled stones at a police cordon around the U.S. embassy in central Cairo after climbing into the embassy compound and tearing down the American flag.

The state news agency said 13 people were hurt in violence which erupted late on Wednesday, following initial protests on Tuesday.

During a similar protest on Tuesday at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libyan Islamists staged military-style assaults on the mission and a safe house refuge. It was the 11th anniversary of al Qaeda’s attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001.

The U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died in the assaults, carried out with guns, mortars and grenades. Eight Libyans were injured.

President Barack Obama vowed to “bring to justice” those responsible for the attack, which U.S. officials said may have been planned in advance. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington had nothing to do with the video, which she called “disgusting and reprehensible”.

The U.S. military moved two destroyers towards the Libyan coast, in what an official said was a move to give the administration flexibility for any future action against Libyan targets.

The U.S. military also dispatched a Marine Corps anti-terrorist team to boost security in Libya, whose leader Muammar Gaddafi was ousted in a U.S.-backed uprising last year.

Obama said security was being increased at U.S. diplomatic stations around the globe and on Thursday the U.S. consulate in Berlin was partially evacuated after an employee fell ill on opening a suspicious envelope.

Bangladeshi Islamists tried to march on the U.S. embassy in Dhaka and Iranian students protested in Tehran outside the Swiss embassy, which looks after U.S. interests because Washington and Tehran have no diplomatic relations. Earlier in the week, there were protests at U.S. missions in Tunisia, Sudan and Morocco.

Among the assailants in Benghazi, Libyans identified units of a heavily armed local Islamist group, Ansar al-Sharia, which sympathises with al Qaeda and derides Libya’s U.S.-backed bid for democracy.

Former Libya militant commander Noman Benotman, now president of Britain’s Quilliam think-tank, said Western officials were investigating a possible link with a paramilitary training camp about 100 miles (160 km) south of the eastern Libyan town of Derna, near the Egyptian border.

U.S. officials said there were suggestions members of al Qaeda’s north-Africa based affiliate may have been involved.

Yemen, a key U.S. ally, is home to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), viewed by Washington as the most dangerous branch of the militant network established by Osama bin Laden.

The attacks could alter U.S. attitudes towards the revolutions that toppled secularist authoritarian leaders in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia and brought Islamists to power.

The violence also could have an impact on the closely contested U.S. presidential race ahead of the Nov. 6 election.

Republican Mitt Romney, Obama’s challenger, criticised the government’s response to the crisis, saying it was disgraceful to be seen to be apologising for American values of free speech. Obama’s campaign accused Romney of trying to score political points at a time of national tragedy.

The attack raised questions about the future U.S. diplomatic presence in Libya, relations between Washington and Tripoli, and the unstable security situation after Gaddafi’s overthrow.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai called the making of the movie a “devilish act” but said he was certain those involved in its production were a very small minority.

The U.S. embassy in Kabul appealed to Afghan leaders for help in “maintaining calm” and Afghanistan ordered the YouTube site shut down so Afghans would not be able to see the film. YouTube, owned by Google Inc, said it would not remove the clip but blocked access in Egypt and Libya. – AGENCIES

Like this story?

More News on EPakistanNews.com

Pakistan News update 24 hours, latest breaking news updates in Pakistan, Pak news, Pakistan Urdu columns, latest news pakistan, political news updates, E Pakistan Newspaper, Karachi News, Karachi Updates, Lahore news, Islamabad news, Multan news and more breaking news, E Pakistan News brings Latest Pakistan News, headline news, pk politics, News online, sports, politics news from Pakistan.

Home - Disclaimer - Follow us on Twitter - Like us on Facebook

Copyright © 2010-2015, E Pakistan News, All rights are reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission are strongly prohibited.
if you need any further assistance please contact us via email epn@epakistannews.com