Latest News / Tripoli – Rebel fighters brooked into Tripoli as Muammar Gadhafi forces collapsed and crowds took to the streets to celebrate, tearing down posters of the Libyan leader.
A convoy of rebels entered a western neighborhood of the city, firing their weapons into the air. Rebels said the whole of the city was under their control except Gaddafi’s Bab Al-Aziziya-Jazeera stronghold.
Gadhafi made two audio addresses over state television calling on Libyans to fight off the rebels. “I am afraid if we don’t act, they will burn Tripoli,” he said. “There will be no more water, food, electricity or freedom.”
“A massacre will be committed inside Tripoli if one side wins now, because the rebels have come with such hatred, such vendetta…Even if the leader leaves or steps down now, there will be a massacre.”
NATO, which has backed the rebels with a bombing campaign, said the transition of power in Libya must be peaceful.
After a six-month civil war, the fall of Tripoli came quickly, with a carefully orchestrated uprising launched on Saturday night to coincide with the advance of rebel troops on three fronts. Fighting broke out after the call to prayer from the minarets of the mosques.
Rebel National Transitional Council Coordinator Adel Dabbechi confirmed that Gadhafi younger son Saif Al-Islam had been captured. His eldest son Mohammed Al- Gadhafi had surrendered to rebel forces, he told.